Our Learn -To-Swim Program
This program has been prepared for children between 6-12 years of age, since this is the ideal age to
start. The same is applicable for older children and adults also. Children younger than 6 years
normally take more time to learn skills as compared to children between 6-12 years; therefore more
attention needs to be paid for children below 6 years of age. Practice should always start at the
shallow end of the pool irrespective of age.
Always introduce the pool and its surroundings/environment such as pool depths, bathrooms,
showers and basic hygiene such as taking shower before and after swim.
A swimming coach is basically a teacher and the impression we make on the child in its first effort
with the water can encourage or discourage him/her from learning swimming. It is most essential
that we should treat every child, irrespective of its social and economic position, with love and kind
words and do not ever force the children by brute force to learn. The coach should have lot of
patience and should never loose his/her temper. That is the quality of a good swimming coach.
Some very important water safety considerations
- Water should be respected by everybody. Water is fun but it can be dangerous too.
- One should never swim alone, no matter how well he/she swims. Should make sure somebody who can help is always present on the pool deck.
- A person should never dive or wade through into the unfamiliar water.
- Never go to someone’s help unless you are capable of helping or this will end up in loosing two lives instead of one.
Facts on Drowning
- The largest number of drowning happens in the age group of under 6 years.
- People may drown due to head injury, heart attack, stroke, fainting, over exertion from swimming and severe cramps which limits the movements during swimming. Also mentalillness contributes to drowning.
- More people drowned in calm water than in current water.
- Most of the drowning happens during the summer time when the water and air temperatures are high.
- Drowning situations are classified as passive or active, in the passive type the victim may be conscious or unconscious which involves no surface struggling. This is one of the reasons the lifeguard should be alert at all time. Heart attack, Head injury, Stroke, Epilepsy, Drunken state, Drug overdose is some of the reasons for passive drowning. I active drowning cases
the victim is active, conscious, Violent or weak depending on the energy left.
As an ASCA (American Swimming Coaches Association) Level-3 (The Physiology School) certified I am dealing with the following,
- The preparation of Athletes for Peak Performance.
- The interaction between Physiology and other Performance Systems.
- Explanations of what Training Methodology is all about.
- Energy Metabolism.
- Swimming Economy – Looking for the Ability to go Farther, Faster, at Lower Energy Cost.
- Stress and its Relationship to Swimming.
Qualities of a Good Swimming Coach:
- Positive Attitude.
- Ability to Teach.
- Knowledge of Training Methods.
- Knowledge of how the Body Works.
Want to learn Swimming? And afraid of water?!!....don’t worry please contact me for ‘Learn-To-
Swim’ program and also for the Advanced Swimming Coaching program at your swimming pool and
avail first two sessions free.